Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

So far, two crew rescued; the Ocean Winner was carrying iron ore bound for China

Published Sun, Aug 23, 2026 · 01:42 PM
    • The cargo ship sank about 240 nautical miles from the port it departed, government sources indicated. 
    • The cargo ship sank about 240 nautical miles from the port it departed, government sources indicated.  PHOTO: REUTERS

    [NEW DELHI] India’s Coast Guard and Navy continued search-and-rescue operations off the country’s eastern coast on Sunday (Aug 23) after a Panama-flagged cargo vessel carrying 24 crew sank, with two Chinese nationals rescued, a senior official said.

    The two rescued Chinese seafarers said the vessel developed a list on Friday and sank within eight minutes, forcing crew to abandon ship, said Shyam Jagannathan, director general of India’s Maritime Administration.

    Jagannathan said the chances of finding survivors generally fall sharply after 12 hours, but rescuers were continuing the search.

    Twenty-two crew members remain missing from the Ocean Winner, including 18 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, said the Indian Coast Guard.

    The Indian Navy is closely coordinating with the coast guard to locate the remaining crew, it said in a post on X.

    The coast guard has sent two vessels from Sri Vijaya Puram, formerly known as Port Blair, for the search-and-rescue operation, a coast guard spokesperson said.

    The Ocean Winner was carrying iron ore bound for China after departing from India’s eastern Paradip port on Friday, based on an initial report from India’s Maritime Administration.

    The cargo ship sank about 240 nautical miles from the port, government sources indicated. The cause of the sinking was not immediately known. REUTERS

    Decoding Asia newsletter: your guide to navigating Asia in a new global order. Sign up here to get Decoding Asia newsletter. Delivered to your inbox. Free.

    Share with us your feedback on BT's products and services